Is Mentoring Right for You?
Mentoring relationships are designed to enhance learning and professional development, and can vary greatly depending on the goals of the participants and the time commitments involved.
Mentoring might be for you, if…
- You are attending your first conference and looking for someone more experienced to help you navigate it.
- You are currently in library school and want to get a glimpse into the day-to-day life of a Business & Finance Librarian.
- You are in the first few years of your career and would like to seek the advice and counsel of more experienced information professionals.
- You are a mid-career librarian contemplating a change and would like to connect with peers in different settings.
- You would like direction and support from an expert about a specific area within special librarianship such as marketing and promotion or human resources.
- You have an interest in giving back to the profession and are willing to commit time to the development of the next generation of information professionals.
Recognizing that people have different goals and desire different outcomes from mentoring relationships, the B&F Division has developed two different programs. Feel free to pick the one that is right for you. Both are a short-term commitment.
Conference Buddy - Applications due May 15 for 2019 Conference!
Meet with a B&F member who has been to several conferences in the past and who can accompany you to open houses, introduce you to other members and give you tips on how to maximize your conference experience.
Meet once or a couple of times, either in person or virtually, for help with a particular topic or issue.
How Do I Get Started?
Submit the appropriate application form above. You will be contacted by the Mentoring Committee chair and matched with someone within similar interests and goals shortly thereafter. Guidance on getting started is available as well.
If you have any questions or concerns at any point, you should feel free to contact Breezy Silver (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mentoring Committee Chair, directly.