Join the Data Community!
Does your job require you to be involved in some aspect of the data lifecycle? Or perhaps you are interested in gaining skills with regard to this burgeoning area of expertise for librarians and information professionals?
The Data Community is for information professionals in all disciplines (from humanities to finance to science). It aims to promote a network of librarians that can help each other expand their skills in various aspects of data librarianship, including data collection, data analysis, data visualization, data sharing, and database management. It strongly believes that engagement gained from this community can be passed along into other SLA communities. We would love to partner with other groups!
What can you get from being a Data Community member?
What we have accomplished (and continue to do!):
- Set up a sustainable backend base for future leadership
- Provide training/webinar programs
- Maintain a website with recommended data-related resources
- Bring in volunteers
- Encourage member discussion
Join the Data Community as a member! But also consider becoming a volunteer (low time commitment: 1-2 hrs/month)! Volunteers help us accomplish:
- Fresh, diverse, continual topic/speaker ideas for training webinars--the more in advance the better
- Insight into what asynchronous resources would be helpful for the data-enthusiast
- Logistical management for being able to handle facilitating and coordinating webinars
- An up-to-date Data Community website, a single source for helpful information about our community
- Representation on behalf of data--encourages data topics to appear at the conference, and the community to receive attention across SLA
If you would like to be a member of this community, or are interested in volunteering, please fill out this survey so we can get to know you: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/7HL3W3V
If you have any questions, please contact one of the Data Community co-chairs.