Washington, DC - Open Community

View Only
  • 1.  Feedback sought on the naming of our new Community

Posted 06-13-2022 19:17
    Colleagues -

The SLA Board will be receiving the results of the merger ballots from the Virginia, Maryland and DC Communities by the end of this month but there is a window of time between now and June 19 to provide feedback on what the new merged community should be called. There are currently two names being considered:
    • Mid Atlantic Community (MAC)
    • Chesapeake Bay Community (CBC)
    If you have a strong opinion about either of these proposed names OR if you have a third option you would like to have considered, please let me know (richardhuffine@gmail.com) before COB, June 19, 2022.

------------------------------
    Richard Huffine,
    Past-President, DC SLA Community
    richardhuffine@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: Feedback sought on the naming of our new Community

Posted 06-14-2022 22:05
    I like the sound of MAC better, but I think the geographic implication may be too big. What do others think?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_(United_States)

I think Chesapeake Bay is narrower in scope and, thus, more accurate.

FWIW in an alternative: DMV Community.

• 3.  RE: Feedback sought on the naming of our new Community

Posted 06-15-2022 18:17
    I agree that "Mid-Atlantic" sounds too broad to me - it sounds as if it could encompass everything from New Jersey down to the Carolinas.  At the same time, "DMV" (or "Capitol Chapter," another suggestion I've heard) feels too narrow to me, like the chapter would be focused on DC and its Maryland and Virginia suburbs, which I don't think is true.  I do like "Chesapeake" - it feels to me as if it encompasses the whole area, and is also a descriptor of something that is unique to the area.

Layla Heimlich 
    DC SLA Secretary 

Medical Librarian 
    MedStar Washington Hospital Center
    Washington, DC

MedStar Health is a not-for-profit, integrated healthcare delivery system, the largest in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region. Nationally recognized for clinical quality in heart, orthopedics, cancer and GI.

IMPORTANT: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify sender by reply e-mail, so that our records can be corrected... Thank you.

Help conserve valuable resources - only print this email if necessary.

• 4.  RE: Feedback sought on the naming of our new Community

Posted 06-16-2022 05:57

Hi all,

I prefer Middle Atlantic Community because it is broader.  

the Chesapeake Bay doesn't touch DC and only a few counties in Maryland and Virginia.  

I think DMV Community is even more localized to the Capitol region. 

David E. McBee, MLS
    Librarian
    DecisionPoint/Cortek
    Washington, DC

• 5.  RE: Feedback sought on the naming of our new Community

Posted 06-16-2022 07:35
    Chesapeake to me seems like it mostly encompasses the Eastern shore. 

But I agree with you that Mid-Atlantic could be too broad.

DMV could encompass the whole area but a lot of people may just think of the DC area.

Sincerely,

Liz

• 6.  RE: Feedback sought on the naming of our new Community

Posted 06-16-2022 08:13
    The Mid-Atlantic (according to Wikipedia) encompasses DE, DC, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA and WV - can actually include CT sometimes.  This is far too broad. The Chesapeake Watershed encompasses DE, DC, MD, NY, PA, VA and WV.

Not a super fan of the designation DMV really at least it has the advantage of being actually correct in naming what jurisdictions are in the Chapter.  (Chesapeake is a far prettier name.)

Catherine Kitchell