Using visuals a ppt presentation, newsletter, or a social media post is commonly done. With this resource posting we hope you take care to keep these thoughts at the forefront of your selection and decision processes when using images.
- Permission to use Images/ Usage Rights – use of an image you don’t own does have protections. Research what is accessible to be used for your project and determine if you have to pay a fee, consent to specific contractual direction, or provide some acknowledgement. Some image use that likely require permission for uses include, but are not limited to, publication, broadcast, products, commercial display, websites, etc. So ask the owner, or use tools that limit your image searches to Creative Commons Licenses images.
- Communicating how image to be used – While ownership of an image may not be an issue you, or you may have resolved, making a good faith effort to let the folks in the images know how their image will be used on specific displays is something to consider.
- Images not limited to dominant culture only – inclusion of folks that are not the commonly featured race, ethnicity, gender, physical representation invites all into the conversation of your message.
- Images not depicting stereotypes – using the same common ‘type’ in an image associated with a specific environment or actions limits the potential for other folks to see themselves in that setting, or only reinforces a specific response and association. See past those stereotypes when selecting images.
- Describe images/ Alt Text – when posting an image to add visual component to a message you are getting across may be lost to those who can’t see it. Description of images/ Alt Text assists screen reader programs find your content. Descriptions/ Alt Text also may highlight key elements to the image they may have missed or were unaware of.
Representation Matters: A Collection of Diverse Stock Image Resources
Tracy Z. Maleeff / @InfoSecSherpa, Sept 12, 2020
Finding and Using Images for Your Nonprofit
Learn how to find photos online and know when you can legally use them for your own purposes
TechSoup, August 13, 2019
How to Write Alt Text and Image Descriptions for Instagram
By Veroniiiica on November 29, 2018
DICE Topic Boxes are a collective and collaborative effort. These topics we post here to open to discussion, expand our knowledge on and share with each other. The content you see is gathered by various members of DICE, and the primary materials/resources are created by many people we thank for their efforts in these areas of thought.
Members, please let us know via SLA Connect DICE if you know of additional resources we should add here or where we need to update the materials.