ALA's - Public Library Associations' (PLA) Taskforce : Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Justice (EDISJ) will have a Live Twitter chat on equity, diversity, inclusion and social justice in the library workforce.
EDISJ for their first live Twitter chat on Wednesday, July 1 from 12–1:00 p.m. Central! The discussion will focus on EDISJ in the library workforce, and will aim to help library staff understand the interplay of EDISJ principles in workforce development and re-examine systems and policies to expose issues of inequity and injustice.
To participate, simply follow PLA on Twitter (@ALA_PLA) and log in at noon Central on July 1. The EDISJ Task Force will post introductions and discussion questions to get things started. To join the conversation, tweet using the hashtags #chatPLA and #libraryworkers.
To ensure a lively discussion, we're providing the discussion questions ahead of time. So get ready to share your experiences and resources, ask questions, and learn from your peers!
- Has your library normalized a shared lexicon or other formalized initiatives around EDISJ?
- In what ways are communities of color formally recognized as key stakeholders in organizational decision-making?
- In what ways has your library developed hiring practices that support the recruitment and retention of those who are BIPOC?
- Does your library have a systematic review of racial equity?
- What are some of the societal shifts in a post-COVID world that will impact the public library workforce & values?