Skip to main content (Press Enter).
Skip auxiliary navigation (Press Enter).
Code of Conduct
Skip main navigation (Press Enter).
Who We Are
Annual Conference Programming
Awards & Grants
Legal Community Docket
Legal Division Blog
Back to discussions
position open at Genentech - IP-focused
position open at Genentech - IP-focused
Posted 09-01-2022 18:47
The following position is opening up in the Legal Department at Genentech. This is a long-term contract position, and the successful candidate may be considered for direct hire after a year. This position would be working on my team, and it can be remote. Please reach out with questions.
If you would like to apply, please send your cover letter and resume to me and I will get them to the right place.
Genentech is seeking an experienced scientific and intellectual property search professional skilled in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical industry. The Information Specialist will work in the Genentech Legal Department.
• Perform high quality in-depth intellectual property, pharmaceutical, scientific, and other research to support the attorneys, paralegals and staff using a variety of resources
• Develop and perform patent portfolio, landscape, patentability, validity, and freedom-to-operate searches
• Competitive intelligence activities, including pipeline and clinical trial database searching; competitor research; and scientific, news, and business research
• Patent legal status, litigation, and post-grant proceedings research, monitoring, and alerting
• Provide information insights using analysis and visualization techniques
• Monitor and respond to research requests and coordinate this effort with research team
• Prioritize and respond to requests, analyze and synthesize results, and communicate research findings in a clear and concise manner
• Generate innovative solutions to the information needs of the Legal Department
• 5+ years experience in a reference/research position and expertise in intellectual property; pharmaceutical/biomedical; biological; and/or chemical information research
• Experience in subject matter domain may be substituted for demonstrated ability to quickly learn new knowledge areas; expertise in searching; and either:
Experience with the application of semantic technologies, Natural Language Processing (NLP), Machine Learning (ML), or Artificial Intelligence (AI); and/or
Experience working with large datasets to provide analysis, visualizations, and custom API solutions;
The willingness and ability to mentor team members in these areas
• Master's degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution or Master's of Science Degree in the life sciences (biology, chemistry, etc.) is required
• Demonstrated experience using multiple search platforms, and the ability to develop and structure a search to best address the clients' needs, from quick-and-dirty to comprehensive, is required
• Knowledge of a wide variety of general electronic research databases, both fee-based and free, subject-specific databases, and intellectual property tools
• Strong organizational and decision-making skills with acute attention to detail and an aptitude for improving processes and platforms
• Clear and effective communication skills to deliver and explain research findings to attorneys, both verbally and through written summaries and analysis, including ability to adapt style, content, and tone to audience/stakeholder needs
• Proven ability to balance multiple projects, learn quickly, and prioritize effectively
• Adept at working collaboratively and independently, with a strong commitment to teamwork and customer service
• Demonstrated curiosity and creative problem solving
• Advanced expertise with major patent-specific research platforms including Questel Orbit, Derwent Innovation, GenomeQuest, and STN
• Experience searching literature in biomedical databases
• Experience with Cortellis, Cortellis Drug Discovery Intelligence, Citeline, and SciFinder preferred
• Experience with Patent Advisor, Docket Navigator, and Darts-IP, along with standard legal research platforms including Lexis preferred.
• Experience in pharmaceutical, healthcare, or legal industry preferred
**Remote candidates would be considered for this role.
2022-2024 Director, SLA Board of Directors
Fellow of SLA, Class of 2020
Senior Information Specialist
New Best Answer
This thread already has a best answer. Would you like to mark this message as the new best answer?
American Association of Law Libraries
Australian Law Librarians' Association
British & Irish Association of Law Librarians
Canadian Association of Law Libraries
International Association of Law Libraries
Organization of South African Law Libraries
2018 Special Libraries Association. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Higher Logic