The Thomson Reuters Westlaw Award for Outstanding Achievement is designed to recognize a member who has demonstrated active participation in Legal Division activities and programming as well as contributed to the continued success of the SLA Legal Division and the profession within the past year.
Congratulations to our 2019 recipient, Jessica King!
Jessica is a past-chair of the Legal Division, past Legal Division Docket editor, and an invaluable asset to the Legal Division. She currently has a position at Perkins Coie LLP in Seattle, WA as the Reference Services Manager.
Jessica has been a member of the SLA Legal Division since she was a student at the University of Kentucky, earning her MLIS in 2010. She has since contributed to the division regardless of her physical location, be it Lexington, Lancaster, or Seattle. Her predominant experience is within the private law firm area, but she also has experience in the academic sector, and has also worked for one of our vendor partners.
She has devoted her professional development to being a leader and fostering relationships, in order to give back to those who have given so much to her. This has had the added benefit of her being an invaluable mentor, whether to past ECCA grant winners, like current Chair-Elect, Ruth Mallalieu, or to newbies who needed a crash course in what it means to be a law librarian (as well as a roommate), like Board Director, Amy Noll. In addition to our current Board leadership, there are countless others, within the Legal Division and beyond, who can state, “I wouldn’t be where I am if not for Jessica!”
She has been a thought leader in regards to vendor relations, spearheading the “Get to Know an Emerging Vendor” series while she was Legal Division Chair and continues to be a force of nature in our community.
- The nominee must:
- be a member in good standing of the SLA Legal Division for at least two (2) years.
- not have received an award presented by the SLA Legal Division for at least five (5) years.
- not be presently serving on the Legal Division Board and must have been off the Board for at least one (1) year.
- have made significant contributions to the SLA Legal Division and/or the profession within the past year.
- Significant contributions include, but are not limited to:
- A special service to the Division.
- A record of sustained service to the Division.
- Innovation and/or creative solutions to improved resources, programs, services, or operations for law library professionals and the clients they serve.
- must show outstanding potential for continued service and leadership within the SLA Legal Division and the profession.