Career Advancement Award
The Leadership ,and Management Development Community believes strongly in advancing the development of information professionals’ leadership and management abilities. In light of the changes to the Annual Conference, LMD is reopening applications for the Career Advancement Award with modified rules for this year’s October virtual conference.
In the absence of travel costs, the award will be expanded for up to eight recipients. Recipients will also receive one year of LMD sponsored SLA membership.
After reading the requirements, submit your application by Friday, 25 September.
The award includes:
- one full conference registration (paid for by LMD)
- one year of SLA membership (paid for by LMD).
Benefits of receiving the award (still applicable!)
Previous award winners report that in addition to thoroughly enjoying their experience of attending and networking at the SLA conference and feeling supported in their ongoing participation in SLA, they …
- Gained a broadened perspective on the many careers a Library and Information Science (LIS) degree offers by attending conference program events and by meeting seasoned library and information professionals at the conference.
- Received professional recognition from LMD members through introduction at the LMD Annual Business Meeting.
- Gained widespread visibility through publicity disseminated by SLA, LMD, and industry sponsors all introducing the recipient to the information community.
- Developed their professional profile and publicity skills by writing articles for SLA blogs.
How to apply
Applicants who are already SLA members must also be members of LMD. To join LMD, login to your SLA account, click My Account to get to your member dashboard, and then select “Edit My Units” to add the communities you wish to join. If already logged in, click on Access Membership, then Manage Your Membership to reach the dashboard.
Applicants who are not SLA members yet are not required to be an SLA member or member of LMD at the time of award application, but will become SLA members as part of their prize and must then become LMD members. LMD Board Members and LMD members running for SLA-wide office in the year of nomination are not eligible for nomination.
Please submit your application to the LMD Awards Committee at LMDHonors.SLA@outlook.com .
Applications are due by Friday, 25 September, and winners will be notified by Thursday, 1 October.
We ask for a two-part application in English:
- CV/résumé: Include a copy of your most current CV/résumé with your current postal and email addresses as well as a current telephone number, and SLA membership number (if applicable). If you are already a member of SLA, please also include your membership renewal date so that we can pay for your next membership year.
- Statement of interest: Include a statement of approximately 300 words on why you want to attend the conference. Statements of award winners may be shared on LMD's Web page, Connect forum, or other communication channels to promote the winners and the SLA conference
*Note: The requirements from previous years to submit a proposal for an LMD Learning or outreach initiative and submit a letter of recommendation are being suspended for this year due to the short timeline for applications.
We invite applicants who are students or information professionals within their first five years of post-qualification in the LIS sector
- Students enrolled in an LIS program (undergraduate or graduate) during the previous academic year
- Participants in a recognized LIS training position, such as graduate traineeships, or studentships/internships lasting one year
- First-time attendees at the SLA annual conference
- Able to communicate in written and spoken English
- Are SLA members in good standing or intend to become SLA members if selected for the award.
Participation during and after the conference
- The award recipients will attend two LMD conference sponsored events.
- The award recipients will attend two LMD non-conference events during the year.
- After the SLA conference within 2 months, the award recipients will be expected to write an article in English on what they learned at the conference. It will be distributed via the LMD Connect site and on LMD’s website.
- The award recipients are encouraged to volunteer with LMD during their year of LMD sponsored membership.
If you have any questions, please contact the LMD Awards Committee at LMDHonors.SLA@outlook.com.
Applicants who already applied before the move to a virtual conference can choose to be considered for the modified award or roll their application over to the next physical conference.