The Special Libraries Association (SLA) Maryland Chapter has been able to host so many wonderful events due in large part to the sponsor support we’ve received. Huge thank you to our sponsors—Clarivate Analytics, EBSCO, Elsevier, University of Maryland Libraries, Cambridge University Press, Zimmerman Associates Inc. (ZAI) and Maryland State Library. Our chapter success is largely due to superstar sponsorships chair, Jill Konieczko (pronounced ko-neh-koh) who made these partnerships possible.
We are psyched for SLA 2018 in Baltimore! The Maryland Chapter kicked off 2018 with a St. Paddy’s Day Mixer and is ramping up for the following:
· Tips from the Trenches: Negotiating Tips from Librarians and Vendors. May 15, 2018
· 2018 SLA Annual Conference in Baltimore, MD. Jun. 9-13. See our list [coming soon] of Maryland Chapter members presenting at the conference.
· Library Carpentry Preconference workshop 9:00-4:30 on Jun. 10, 2018 (Bring-Your-Own-Laptop-with-Admin-privileges, or have IT pre-load software before you go)
· Tracking Technology Trends: Staying Current in a World of Information Overload (Bring-Your-Own-Device) scheduled for Jun. 12, 3:30-5:00 at SLA Annual Conference
· Bibliometrics and Research Assessment Symposium at NIH. Aug. 20-21, 2018
SLA Maryland Chapter 2017 Accomplishments include:
· Data, Analytics, Visualizations Workshop at the University of Michigan—yes, Ann Arbor, MI! We delivered dataviz and analytics training. Mar. 17, 2017
· Nebulous Connections: An Applied Bibliometrics Workshop & Symposium, a two-day symposium and hands-on workshop at the NASA Goddard Library. Apr. 3-4, 2017
· Show Me the Numbers: Storytelling with Data and Visualization, a one-day conference in at the University of Maryland Libraries in College Park . Check out presenters’ slides. Oct. 12, 2017
· Maryland chapter kiosk at the 2017 SLA Annual Conference in Phoenix, AZ. Chapter volunteers staffed a kiosk on the “Main Street” expo, publicized the 2018 Annual Conference to be held in Baltimore with a splashy twitter-friendly photoframe, conducted raffles of two 3D print statutes of Jim Henson and Kermit the Frog, and handed out Baltimore/Maryland buttons, and 3D printed Maryland Testudos turtles. All well-attended and received!
· 2017 MD Tech Connect SLA Maryland Chapter partnered with IMLS, Maryland State Library, MdLibTech, Priddy Library and the Universities at Shady Grove (USG) for a one day conference themed “It’s More Than Technology – It’s The Story”- at USG in Rockville, MD. (Dec. 8, 2017)
We also held four happy hour/networking events in College Park, Owings Mills, Takoma Park, and Rockville. I was honored (and stunned) to receive the Chapter Champion award at the 2017 SLA Maryland Chapter holiday party. I hope to live up to the trophy and its name.
A hearty thank you to this year’s executive board members for volunteering time, time, and time again!
- Jill Konieczko, President-Elect
- Angela Prikockis, Secretary
- Lea Wade, Treasurer
- Sarah Davis, Director
- Leif Johnson, Director
- Jill Konieczko, Director
- Ya-Ling Lu, Director
- Sara Thomas, Director
- Zaida Diaz, Past-President
Additional thanks to members serving double duty and contributing as Advisory Board members:
- Leif Johnson and Sara Thomas, Membership
- Vacant, Student Liaison
- Anne Janac, Awards Coordinator
- Jill Konieczko, Sponsor Relations Chair
- Matthew Pearson, Web Administrator
- Maria Pisa, Communications
- Annette Haldeman, Communications co-chair
- Zaida Diaz, Nominations
- Chapter Archivist, Linda Klouzal (pending)
You have my gratitude, the thanks of the Maryland Chapter, and all of SLA for your hard work.
This is our year to Bmore!
Kimberly F. Yang
SLA Maryland Chapter President