Colleagues, This great opportunity was just posted on FEDLIB so forgive cross posting. The Darnall Library staff is a great group to work with; they are a true team. Read and heed Ann Holman's special note about Human Resources specialist! These words of wisdom apply to any federal job application.
In this job, you would be doing good!
The Darnall Medical Library, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (WRNMMC) will be hiring a Medical Reference Librarian. Starting salary is $94,199. Located in Bethesda, MD, we are easily accessible via metro and bus, across the street from the Medical Center stop on the metro's red line (www.wmata.com). The successful candidate performs clinical and research searches in a timely manner; shares strategies and best practices with information requestors and library colleagues, empowering patrons to attempt their own searches, and modeling positive information sharing practices with colleagues. They'll use existing tools to track responses to reference questions. If you love answering questions, please consider joining us. The application will be open from 03/21/2023 to 04/04/2023. The application period reflects our desire to hire talented people quickly.
For more information, and to apply, go to https://www.usajobs.gov/job/713081600
Contributes to a Medically Ready Force (Related to Patient Care) by:
- Responding to Patient Care Questions from WRNMMC healthcare providers;
- Responding to ready reference questions from Patients;
- Monitoring queries as they come in (LibAnswers / LibChat / email) and responding or forwarding to appropriate personnel.
Contributes to a Ready Medical Force (Related to Training Providers / Conducting Research) by:
- Responding to Reference questions related to Research as well as Ready Reference questions;
- Updating resources, including LibGuides pages and maintaining / promoting MilMed App;
- Facilitating EndNote installation for providers, including working to resolve DoD specific issues;
- Offering Classes;
- Conducting 1 on 1 Consultations with healthcare providers;
- Supporting / attending didactics for some Graduate Medical Education (GME) Programs.
Supports Library Operations by:
- Assisting with tracking administrative accounts for eresource usage;
- Compiling and forwarding metrics to leadership;
- Potentially serving on hospital committees (Diversity, equity, and inclusion / Ethics / Institutional Review Board).
An HR specialist - not a librarian - will be the first person to evaluate your resume. The library only receives a list of candidates the HR specialist forwards to us for consideration. For best results, follow the application tips below.
Complete the online resume form provided in USAJOBS. You can send your existing resume or CV as supplemental material but fill out the online resume form. Be sure to send all required documents.
Do not approach the online resume as a CV. The HR specialist only considers the job duties you list under your job titles to determine if you meet the qualifications of the position. The specialist does not look at other sections such as publications, continued training, classes taught, or committee memberships to evaluate your qualifications.
Let your official position description be your guide to writing your job duties. Be explicit. Tell what you do in as much detail as possible. Do not assume the HR specialist will know.
Use the verbiage from the job announcement in your resume. The HR specialist does not know synonyms from our field or other ways of expressing concepts.
Under the "Qualifications" heading, you will see a section on "Specialized Experience." Your job duties MUST address this specialized experience. If your job duties do not reflect the ALL of the specialized experience, the HR specialist will judge you unqualified.
Ann M Holman, MLS (she / her / they / them)
Director, Darnall Medical Library
Bldg 1 Rm 3458
Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
PLEASE NOTE: My email address has changed. My new email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information is an essential tool for healing, therefore, it is our mission to ensure access to peer-reviewed research, personalized services, exceptional education, and collaborative opportunities to healthcare providers in support of the medical readiness and care of those we are privileged to serve.
[Federal Librarian - Retired]email@example.com
'Tolle Lege!' ('Take up and read')