The Director is responsible for the leadership and administration of all College libraries as well as the Academic Learning Center. The incumbent plans, organizes, coordinates and directs a balanced program of library services for the students, faculty and administration of Union County College. S/he works under general administrative supervision and is expected to exercise judgment in the performance of duties. Supervision is exercised over a staff of professionals, faculty and clerical employees.
|Characteristics, Duties, and Responsibilities
• Plans, organizes and administers programs and procedures governing Library services.
• Oversees the Academic Learning Center.
• Promotes services and programming focused on learning
• Engages faculty in the integration of Library Resources into instruction.
• Promotes use of the Learning Resource Centers through pro-active marketing of services.
• Actively guides the improvement of the collection of all forms of Library Holdings in consideration of institutional needs.
• Addresses the effectiveness of Library services in relation to changing needs of the college.
• Prepares an annual budget, develops a budget allocation plan and directs the expenditures of Library funds.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with other College offices and departments, community groups and other academic and public libraries.
• Assigns appropriate service coverage and personnel across the three libraries. Authorizes assignments for clerical and professional staff.
• Promotes professional development of all library staff.
• Supervises and evaluates faculty librarians.
• Represents the College in statewide library groups and consortium.
• Reacts to changing demands and emerging trends in Library systems.
• Embraces on-line retrieval of library holdings
• Performs other duties as assigned by the Assistant Vice President of Academic Affairs.
|Competencies and Skills Required
• Understanding of and commitment to the mission of a comprehensive community college.
• Participatory leadership style; demonstrated creativity and flexibility in problem solving.
• Sensitivity to the educational and personal goals of a diverse student population.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Strong interpersonal, administrative, and organizational skills.
|Physical Demands and Work Environment
• This position’s duties are normally performed in a typical interior/residence work environment, based on the activity scheduled.
• Some physical effort required; however, the employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
• Some travel required.
Union County College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, marital status, religion, age, disability, handicap or other legally protected status in its provision of employment, education, and activities, or other services.
Union County College is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
============== Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons. ==============
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full-time faculty and staff which includes twenty medical plans to choose from including PPO, HMO and HD plans offered by BC/BS and Aetna, three dental plans including two PPOs and one DMO offered by Delta Dental of NJ, and a pension plan with seven investment carriers. We also offer twenty vacation days, ten paid holidays, and a ten week summer work schedule which allows the college to close on Fridays. Other additional benefits include gym privileges, tuition remission for credit and non-credit courses at Union County College, and tuition reimbursement for an approved degree program at an accredited college or university.
|Terms of Employment
Full Time. Flexible schedule to meet department needs. Some evening, weekends, and extended hours will be required. Ability and willingness to travel on short notice to all on and off- campus sites as needed by the college. Mandatory overtime is required throughout the year, especially at peak times. Employee must establish primary residency in New Jersey within one year of appointment unless an exemption applies.