Drew University Library is seeking a Head of Access Services. Reporting to the Director of Public Services, the incumbent will ensure service excellence, consistency, creativity, and efficiency in the library’s circulation, interlibrary loan, and reserves functions. The incumbent oversees all departmental operations and supervises the department’s permanent staff members and many student assistants. As a regular member of Library Council, the Head of Access Services will contribute to library-wide planning and development of policies and programs.
- Supervises the Circulation Desk, provides service to users, explains Library policies and procedures and resolves issues related to library accounts. Assumes responsibilities for and occasionally covers the shifts of absent staff and student assistants.
- Supervises permanent staff and student assistants, including hiring, training, and task assignments to provide essential services.
- Oversees Interlibrary Loan, and performs some daily activities.
- Oversees reserve services, interacting with faculty to identify material, process requests and provide updates.
- Oversees stacks management.
- Assesses all departmental operations and adapts policies, procedures and schedules according to best practices.
- Provides monthly and annual statistical reports on departmental activity.
- A minimum of 3 years supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of general library procedures, with preference given to library work experience.
- Excellent written, oral communication and interpersonal skills, with a strong service orientation.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment.
- Demonstrable organizational skills, with good attention to detail.
- Flexibility of schedule.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience with integrated library systems and commonly used library technologies.
- Experience with library access services, including circulation, reserves, and interlibrary loan.
To apply, submit the following materials to email@example.com. Please include your name in the subject. Position open until filled. For full consideration, please submit all materials by 5:00 pm EDT, Monday, September 30, 2019
- Cover letter
- 3 professional references
About Drew University
Drew University, located on a beautiful, wooded, 186-acre campus in Madison, New Jersey, includes the College of Liberal Arts, the Theological School and the Caspersen School of Graduate Studies. It has a total enrollment of more than 2,100 students with 145 full-time faculty members. Over 35% of our undergraduate students are from underrepresented groups, and we were recently ranked 19th among baccalaureate institutions for the number of international students enrolled. The Theological and Caspersen Schools offer master’s and doctoral degrees, and the College confers bachelor’s degrees in 32 disciplines.
Drew is dedicated to exceptional faculty mentorship and hands-on learning that successfully prepares students for their futures. Students regularly connect with local communities, and because of our proximity to New York City, we are home to multiple New York Semester experiences for our undergraduate students: Wall Street, United Nations, Contemporary Art, Communications and Media, Social Entrepreneurship, and New York Theatre. The University also houses the Charles A. Dana Research Institute for Scientists Emeriti, the Center for Global Education, the Center for Civic Engagement, the Center on Religion, Culture & Conflict, and the United Methodist Archives and History Center. Drew also recently received a multi-year grant to transform teaching and learning in the humanities by incorporating emerging digital technologies, methods, and pedagogies.
To enrich education through diversity, Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with Department of Homeland Security regulations, a successful candidate must be authorized to work in the United States. These positions are subject to a background check.
Organization/Corporation: Drew University
Job Posting Date: September 7, 2019
Source: Drew University