The Dana Gordon Special Librarian of the Year Award was created by the SLA-NY Executive Board in 2012 to honor the memory of Dana Gordon (1961-2012). The award recognizes a professional librarian for outstanding achievement and accomplishments reflecting the shared purpose and goals of the library profession. Dedicated to projects and programs that enhance library service and strengthen the role and position of the library for their community, college or university, school, company, or corporation.
Dana was a long-standing SLA-NY and SLA News Division member. A consummate professional, she was well known for her expertise, creative talent, and enterprising spirit. Dana’s professionalism was rivaled only by her tremendous enthusiasm for the profession and her generosity in sharing her great store of knowledge with colleagues, staff and students. Dana spent 13 years at Newsweek and rose to the position of Deputy Director of its Library Research Systems. Subsequently she was the Research Editor for Crain’s, and also worked as a consultant for BST America.
We mourn the passing of Dana and honor her dedication to enthusiastically bringing her brand of innovation and forward thinking to the profession. This award truly celebrates Dana’s sense of innovation by allowing for a broad range of nominees each year.
Congratulations to the 2021 Winner: Lucy Curci-Gonzalez
Lucy is the Executive Director at New York Law Institute. With nearly three decades experience in the law library field, she is a leader in this sector and in the information professional generally. As an active member of both SLA and LLAGNY she has helped to connect the two organizations thereby enhancing the offerings of both to their respective members.
Hosting the joint SLA/LLAGNY conference feedback seminar in 2019 was an excellent example of a successful collaborative event. She took part in the NY Community speed networking event in 2019 and a similar joint DC and NY Community event in May this year, clearly demonstrating her commitment to helping new entrants to the profession in the early stages of their careers.
She is a regular attendee at the the regular Managers’ Roundtable events and her informed contributions are always appreciated. She regularly hosts both professional and social events for information professionals at the New York Law Institute providing plenty of opportunities for learning and networking.
Please join us in congratulating Lucy!
To nominate a member of the SLA-NY Community for the 2022 Dana Gordon Award
, please submit a brief bio of the nominee, contact information (email and/or phone number), a paragraph outlining why they should be considered, and any relevant supplementary material such as a website or LinkedIn profile. The SLA-NY Award Committee is accepting nominations and awards will be presented at an upcoming Community event. Nominations should be submitted through the online submission form
- Do you know a librarian who deserves special recognition this year? Who lights the way for patrons and colleagues? Tell us about a librarian you know who’s shown exceptional leadership, creativity, and innovation this year.
- Or…talk to us about a library that’s doing interesting, groundbreaking work in their profession or community.
- Who is Eligible? Any SLA-NY member and professional librarian or knowledge manager in any type of library is eligible. “Professional” means a person with an advanced degree in Library or Information Science, or someone holding a position designated “professional” in a library or library service. Current employment is not a requirement – the person can be recently retired, between positions, or involved in volunteer, mentor, or advisory roles.
- Examples of winning achievements can include but are not limited to:
- Exceptional leadership or mentorship to other information professionals
- Creation of innovative services
- Building, rebuilding, and/or strengthening a library’s role in a community or organization
- Inspired promotion of the library’s resources and services
- Or any other relevant, unique contributions
Previous Recipients of the Dana Gordon Award
- Paulette Toth, 2020
- Clara Cabrera, 2017
- Kara Masciangelo, 2016
- Marcy Winkler, 2015
- Rachel Finn, Chris Lillis Meatto, and Helen Sobolik, 2014
- Donna Severino, 2013
- Pam Rollo, 2012