The SLA New York Chapter endorses the Association’s Statement against Racism and Unequal Treatment
The Chapter Board would like to add, that it decries the murder of George Floyd and many other recent examples of senseless violence towards the Black people of this country. The Chapter condemns racism, discrimination and injustice in all forms, and confirms our commitment to diversity, inclusion, community and equity. We stand with Black Lives Matter and stand up as anti-racist and anti-hate.
In recognition of the diversity of our membership and the city we live in, we will continue to offer a range of educational and cultural events and raise awareness of the implicit bias which continues to exist in many workplaces and within the information profession generally.
The Chapter offers an annual travel award
to our members to help fund attendance at the annual conference. We highly encourage applications from BIPOC students studying library and information science.
If you are looking for ways to support your fellow information professionals and the people in your community most affected by the issues highlighted by recent events, there are many organizations which challenge racism and inequality which you can connect with and donate to. Below are some suggestions. Please share other similar organizations you are aware of.
- We Here an organization which seeks to provide a safe and supportive community for BIPOC in library and information science.
- Brooklyn Community Bail Fund an organization committed to challenging the racism, inequality, and injustice of a criminal legal system and immigration and deportation regime that disproportionately target and harm low-income communities of color.
- Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, which is “devoted to the research, preservation, and exhibition of materials focused on African American, African Diaspora, and African experiences".
- Black Lives Matter
- Campaign Zero campaigns to end police violence in America
- ADL a leading anti-hate organization.
- Food Bank for New York City.
SLA New York Chapter