For those who were unable to attend the New York Community's annual business meeting on November 12th, I have attached my presentation slides. Items of particular note are:
• 253 members as of November 2, 2020
• 49 new members in 2020
Some of you may be surprised by this relatively low number but membership has gone down in all SLA Communities this year. The impact of the global pandemic on the economy and job market is a contributing factor. The NY Community maintains its position as 2nd largest of the former Chapters after DC Chapter (305). Our Chapter, despite the total drop, still had a higher increase than last year in new members. Membership will target the student and new professionals sectors in 2021 with programming. Also, SLA HQ decision to reduce Student Membership to $10 will be a big impetus for 2021. If you know anyone who would benefit from the professional support being a member of SLA offers, please encourage them to join. There are no longer financial restrictions for joining other Communities and as all Association events are now virtual there are so many more educational and networking events we can all attend.
We will have very few changes to our Board positions in 2021, changes and vacancies are listed below. If you are interested in getting involved please contact me.
• Vice President - Christine Pelosi
• Web Team- Darlene Davis, Stacie Calabrese
• Archivist – vacant
• Communications Chair - vacant
Community Highlights 2020
• Board met monthly moving from in-person to video meetings
• Events Committee organized a very varied program
• Social events went virtual
• Long-standing member Rita Ormsby admitted to the SLA Hall of Fame
• Awarded the Dana Gordon Special Librarian of the Year Award; Rising Star Award; Spotlight Awards; Agnes Mattis Travel Awards
• Community Archives reviewed, organized and a permanent home found
• NY members took the initiative to address major issues of inequality in the workplace and our profession
• Issued a Statement against Racism and Unequal Treatment
• Job blog & Internship blog – kept membership informed
SLA New York Community
M +1 646 678 0663
The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be attorney-client privileged, may constitute inside information, and is intended only for the use of the addressee. It is the property of Kirkland & Ellis LLP or Kirkland & Ellis International LLP. Unauthorized use, disclosure or copying of this communication or any part thereof is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return email or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and destroy this communication and all copies thereof, including all attachments.