Situated in an information capital of the world, the New York Chapter of SLA reflects the Big Apple's prominence in finance, communications, health care, publishing, and the arts. The Chapter's members work in a broad spectrum of New York metropolitan area-based businesses and non-profit institutions. SLA-NY is one of the largest of the Association’s chapters. The large size and great diversity of the New York Chapter make it a unique networking resource for its members.
Among the Chapter’s goals are to communicate the value of its members and to create opportunities to influence the knowledge industry. SLA-NY also seeks to heighten members' capabilities through networking, professional development, and leadership opportunities. Leadership
Volunteer opportunities offer the opportunity to develop leadership skills and “give back” by serving on the SLA-NY Board or Advisory Committee (AC).
Being a member of the Board/AC is a rewarding way to increase your involvement in the Chapter, get to know and work with many other talented SLA members, and make a contribution to the development of the Association and the profession. Networking
The Chapter offers networking in a variety of ways!
- In person with peers at our many Chapter events
- General program meetings, with interesting presentations by dynamic speakers — open to all and free to members
- Specialized program meetings sponsored by, for instance, our Business & Finance Division or Diversity Committee — also open to all and free to members
- Regular “Happy Hours”
- Annual Holiday Party
Attend sessions that will help you to keep up with the latest technology, perform better, show the value of your work, and market yourself. Explore new kinds of career opportunities for information professionals such as:
- Website development
- Content management
- Information architecture
- Portal usability
- Connect with a network of information professionals while working toward an MLIS/MI degree
- SLA-NY offers funding opportunities through a generous scholarship program and a travel award to attend the national SLA conference
Stay attuned to the job market via: