The PAM International Membership Award was first given in 1999.
The PAM International Membership Award will be presented by the SLA-PAM Division to a librarian from the Developing World. As a member of SLA, the winner will have the opportunity to participate more fully with colleagues in this Association.
The purpose of the award is to provide an opportunity for librarians from the developing world to be active members of SLA and of SLA-PAM.
- The award will provide SLA membership, including PAM Division affiliation, for a period of two years.
- The award recipient will serve as a member of PAM's International Relations Committee (IRC) during the term of the award.
- PAM will normally fund the award recipient to attend SLA's annual conference during the first year of the award.
- The award recipient will prepare a short report on the state of scientific information/libraries in his/her country, to be presented to the membership at the annual SLA conference either in person or in writing.
- The award recipient will also prepare a final report reflecting on his/her experience with PAM and providing recommendations for future improvements to the award program; this report is to be sent before the end of the second year of the award to the PAM Executive Board and PAM IRC.
- The nominee must reside and work in a developing country and have basic English skills.
- The nominee must be working currently in a library, information center, library school or other information-related capacity, in one of the subject areas related to science and technology. Priority will be given to applicants working in Physics-Astronomy-Mathematics areas.
- The nominee will not normally have had a previous opportunity to become actively involved in SLA, such as by attending an SLA conference or other professional library association meeting in the U.S.
Self nominations are encouraged. Nomination documentation should include
- a letter highlighting the candidate's professional career and qualifications and explaining why this person should be granted the award;
- the candidate's current professional resume
- Contact information for the nominee: name, position, business address, and (if possible) email address.
A call for nominations is issued in the autumn of each year. Nominations are to be submitted by 31 October to the PAM IRC incoming chair, and the award recipient will be announced in November.
The selection will be made by the PAM Executive Board in consultation with the PAM IRC chair.
PAM International Membership Award Recipients
Narendar K. Wadhwa, Scientist-in-Charge, Knowledge Resource Centre (KRC), National Physical Laboratory (NPL), New Delhi. Details
Martha Nderitu, Information Resources and Documentation Officer at the Communications Commission of Kenya, in Nairobi, Kenya. Details
Presentation: Internet connectivity in resource centres
Pavlinka Kovatcheva, Subject Librarian for Sciences at the University of Johannesburg Library & Information Centre, in Johannesburg, South Africa. Details
Presentation: The transformation of a science librarian: A 2.0 experience
Adefunke Olanike Alabi, Assistant Librarian/Science Librarian at University of Lagos, Akoka Lagos, Nigeria. Details
Mandy Taha, Senior Research Services Librarian at the Bibliotheca Alexandrina in Alexandria, Egypt. Details
Muhammad Shahid Soroya, Librarian at School of Mathematical Sciences (SMS) at Government College University in Lahore, Pakistan. Details
Presentation: Role of Higher Education Commission Digital Library in promotion of research culture in Pakistan
Demissew Tsigemelak Gebreyohannes, Science Librarian at Addis Ababa University in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Details
Awasom Cornelius Ngang, Science Librarian in charge of the Math, Physics, and Chemistry (MPC) option at the University of Yaounde 1, Yaounde, Cameroon, Africa. Details
Marie Antoinette Villaflor, Reference Section Head, College of Science Library, University of the Philippines, Quezon City, Philippines. Details
Presentation: The vital role of Philippine library associations in the implementation of RA 9246 “The Philippine Librarianship Act of 2003”
Umran Kandemir , Science and Engineering Reference Librarian, Koç University, Suna Kiraç Library, Istanbul, Turkey. Details
Sunita Barve, Head Librarian, National Center for Radio Astrophysics (NCRA), Pune, India. Details
Myrna Koch Cifuentes, GAUSS (Astrophysics and Mathematics) Library, Pontifical Catholic University, Santiago, Chile. Details
Nancy Gomez, Director, Facultad de Ciencias Exactas y Naturales, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Argentina. Details
Christina Louis, Indian Institute of Astrophysics Library, Bangalore, India. Details