The Beverly M. Knower Fund Conference Travel Award is given to an eligible chapter member or members currently enrolled in an MLIS/MLS graduate school program. This award, generously supported by the contributions to The Beverly M. Knower Fund, is to be used toward the expenses of attending the SLA Annual Conference.
The SLA Philadelphia Chapter is currently seeking applications for the 2018 Knower Fund Travel Award for the SLA Annual Conference in Baltimore, MD from June 9-13, 2018. Two (2) Awards, each worth up to $800, may be granted in 2018.
- Applicants must be a student member of the SLA Philadelphia Chapter at time of application and through June 30, 2018.
- Applicants must be attending an ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS graduate program.
- Applicants must submit a completed Application Form by May 4, 2018.
- Award recipients must register for SLA 2018 at the student rate.
- Award recipients must submit a request for reimbursement of the student registration fee to the SLA Philadelphia Chapter Treasurer no later than 30 days following the end of conference, and using the chapter’s expense reimbursement form (to be supplied by the Treasurer) and all required supporting documentation.
- The recipient may be asked to volunteer a few hours of their time on behalf of the chapter in some capacity at Annual Conference.
- Participate in the premiere conference of the library association to which you belong.
- Network with library and information professionals who work in specialized information disciplines and a wide range of environments.
- Explore a spectrum of information-related jobs including embedded librarian, taxonomist, knowledge manager, archivist, records manager, data analyst, as well as traditional librarian.
- Attend professional development sessions, Keynote Speaker events, and programs focused on hot topics and emerging trends in the information arena.
- Discover new products and services in the information industry by spending time at the INFO-EXPO and talking with company representatives who are knowledgeable about their information offerings.
- Learn more about SLA as an association and how you can be involved as a student and throughout your career.
- Break the ice as a First-Timer by having a Philadelphia Chapter Conference Buddy to advise you on how to make the most of your SLA 2018 experience.
- Meet other SLA Philadelphia Chapter members as well as SLA members from other chapters, divisions, and countries.
- Your student registration fee and some travel expenses will be reimbursed by the SLA Philadelphia Chapter.
The deadline for submitting an application is May 4, 2018. Applications will be evaluated and award winners selected by the Chapter’s Knower Fund Award Committee and approved by the Executive Board in mid-May. Award winners will be notified by late May.
Learn more about past winners of The Beverly M. Knower Fund Travel Award and read what they had to say about their Annual Conference experience.
Questions? Please contact the Chapter’s Director of Early Career, Marcella Barnhart.