Library Director Position Description
Dr. William C. Herrick Community Health Care Library
Grossmont Healthcare District
9001 Wakarusa Street, La Mesa, CA 91942
The Library Director of the Dr. William C. Herrick Community Health Care Library, Grossmont Healthcare District (GHD), is responsible for planning, organizing, and managing the programs, collections, services, and staff of the library, under the general supervision of the GHD Chief Executive Officer. The mission of the library is to help meet the health information needs of the community and local residents. The Herrick Library is a consumer health library as well as a public library specializing in health-related materials.
Principal Administrative Duties and Responsibilities
- Administer library operations, including staff, training, facility management, and library policies and procedures.
- Administer library services including collection development and management.
- Organize and plan monthly programs with external speakers.
- Plan and implement marketing, community outreach, social media, and relationships with libraries and service providers.
- Provide reference and research services to library patrons.
- Offer presentations to community organizations.
- Manage the front desk (a.k.a., reference desk, circulation desk, service counter).
- Prepare and manage library budget.
- Report to the GHD Board of Directors and committees as needed.
Experience, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimum of 3 years experience in similar library services or a comparable position required.
- Public or medical library experience preferred.
- Previous supervisory experience required.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in maintaining relationships with staff and board members, library patrons, community organizations, external library professionals, and community stakeholders.
- Excellent customer service, teaching, and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and experience with library computer systems, hardware, and software.
Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited university.
- Send cover letter and resume via email to Barry Jantz, CEO, Grossmont Healthcare District, email@example.com.
- Please use email subject line: Library Director.
- Applications received by October 15, 2019, will be considered.
- Position start date: December 9, 2019.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications; full benefits package offered.