THE WORLD FAMOUS SAN DIEGO ZOO IS CURRENTLY SEEKING CANDIDATES WITH
- Commitment and top notch interpersonal skills to provide great customer service
- Problem solving skills to identify practical solutions
- Teamwork skills to work well with others and to be productive member of the team
- Organizational skills to stay on top of the multitude of multitasking duties without difficulty
Location: San Diego Zoo - Life Sciences - Park Library
Duration: Full time
Positions available: 1
Non-Union position: Salary commensurate with experience
Application Deadline: Sunday, December 15, 2019
The Assistant Librarian performs all job assignments with a positive attitude that supports San Diego Zoo Global’s mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Assistant Librarian is responsible, along with the Associate Director, for the general operation of SDZG Libraries. This position reports to the Associate Director - Library Services.
- Follows through on Library plans and objectives
- Provides reference, research and information delivery services to staff throughout the organization
- Contributes toward the development and promotion of information resources and services
- Oversees all technical services and library technology, including development and maintenance of the library’s ILS, EBSCO Discovery Service instance, institutional repository, external and internal websites
- Provides for the general maintenance and accessibility of the physical and electronic collection
- Researches emerging technologies and web-based resources; recommends implementation appropriate to departmental needs
- Assists with the collection of usage metrics and execution of strategies to measure service use
- May act as Associate Director – Library Services in his/her absence
- Adheres to all SDZG and department policies and practices
- Practices the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
- Contributes toward the development of information resources that support the organization’s information needs, including news alerting services, institutional repositories, Animal Fact Sheets, and Research Guides on the LibGuides platform
- Provides SDZG staff and volunteers with instructional training in the use of library and information resources; assists in the training of Library Services staff and volunteers
- Conducts inter-library loans using OCLC’s WorldShare
- Catalogs and processes print and e-books and serials; assists with collection development
- Maintains a variety of contacts in order to effectively coordinate activities and respond to inquiries and requests.
Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
A master's degree in library science from an accredited college or university or equivalent specialized training or experience in a specialized library is required. A bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline or experience working with scientific information resources is desirable.
- Online research databases, automated integrated library systems, library discovery platforms, and bibliographic citation management programs
- Web content management systems and design
- General library services and functions
- Serials management, cataloging, inter-library loan, circulation, reference and information research
- Marketing, outreach and newsletter design
- Information networks and consortia
- Zoology, taxonomy, life sciences, veterinary medicine, conservation, and/or ecology
- Write and design dynamic, user-focused web content
- Creatively apply available resources, technology and tools to create / provide services and meet information needs
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, and database systems
- Work independently and assign priorities
- Communicate effectively (verbal and written) and provide outstanding customer service
Computer use; sitting for extended periods of time; moderate walking and standing; move moderately heavy materials approximately 25-35 pounds
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFY
SAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER – San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
All New Hires are subject to passing a drug screen and some employment is contingent upon passing pre-placement testing.
Are you ready to start your adventure and put your Passion for Wildlife to work?