APPLY ON INDEED.COM
Librarian Pauma Band of Mission Indians - San Diego
POSITION OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Applications received prior to Close of Business on Tuesday, December 17, 2019 are guaranteed consideration. Applications received after Close of Business on December 17, 2019 will be considered upon receipt until the position is filled.
Type: Full Time - 40 hrs/week
Supervisor: Tribal Administrator / Education Committee
Salary Grade: Based on qualifications/experience
Benefits: Commensurate with position
The Pauma Tribe seeks a Librarian to manage its library collection and provide library services, within the context of a Learning Resource Center, to tribal communities, patrons and Pauma Tribal staff. Under the direction of the Pauma Education Committee, duties include policy recommendations, departmental planning, and direction and administration of library activities. The position also entails making complex technical decisions about the library, web development, and information services. Supervises staff. The work requires that the employee have a thorough knowledge, skill, and ability in all aspects of these fields.
ESSENTIAL AND MARGINAL FUNCTIONS:
Responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Writes and implements the IMLS (Institute of Museum and Library Services) grants – including but not limited to: cultural education, JOM and youth, GIS hub;
2. Works collaboratively with the Cultural liaison at the direction of the Cultural Committee;
3. Organizes and maintains the tribal webpage, both public and tribal aspects, including social media sources;
4. Directs the day-to-day tribal library operations of the assigned library during all open daytime and evening hours; opens and closes the library following established procedures, ensures the safety and security of patrons;
5. Provides assistance to tribal members and patrons at the circulation desk; charges/discharges and renews library materials; assists patrons in the use of computers, media equipment, photocopiers and other library equipment;
6. Catalogs materials in a variety of formats, including print, non-print and electronic resources; verifies, evaluates and edits records for addition into the library’s world-wide catalog system; performs original cataloging in Machine- Readable Cataloging (MARC) format; creates cataloging procedures in compliance with established policies and trains staff; troubleshoots cataloging issues and problems and implements solutions; functions as lead for catalog maintenance including serial cataloging and check-in of new issues.
7. Functions as lead for the physical processing of library materials in a wide variety of formats including books, periodicals, DVDs, CDs and maps;
8. Receives and processes library materials and supplies; posts invoices and credits; tests new media for sound quality and closed caption functionality;
9. Coordinates bindery and repair activities for library; trains staff on basic repair procedures.
10. Provides reference assistance by helping patrons locate materials and information utilizing electronic and print resources.
Candidates must have experience in an academic, research or special library setting; understand the latest professional cataloging and classification rules, plus library processing conventions; have an ability to multitask and manage details; thorough knowledge of contemporary bibliographic-maintenance standards and practice, including the Library of
Congress subject headings, OCLC/MARC records; strong oral and written communication skills; strong critical thinking skills and the ability to serve a diverse population. A positive attitude and enthusiasm for innovation and a changing environment are necessary.
Experience: 1-2 years’ experience in professional library and/or information center work
Education/Training: Equivalent to a masters and/or bachelor’s degree in a library science related field from an accredited college or university with major coursework in library technology or a related field.
- Confers with the Pauma Education Committee and tribal administration in the development of library programs in coordinating interlibrary program efforts.
- Performs and is responsible for additional work including but not limited to: o Tribal Website o Cultural Monitoring / Invoicing
- Directs the operations of the library and directly supervises library staff and interns
- Evaluates and administers library programs such as circulation, reference, tutoring, grant operations, public service and the tribal website.
- Directs the development and maintenance of the library collection of books, periodicals, records, DVDs, and a variety of other library materials.
- Prepares, directs and controls the expenditure of library’s allocations within the constraints of approved budgets.
- Provides reference services on a regular schedule to tribal library patrons as supervisor of that department.
- Prepares various kinds of statistical reports about the library.
- Directs the training and evaluation of library staff and interns and the deputy librarian in technical and administrative library skills.
- Represents the library on committees on library issues.
- Performs related work as required.
Environmental Conditions: Library environment; exposure to computer screens; extensive contact with students, faculty and the public.
Physical Conditions: Essential and marginal functions may require physical fitness requirements necessary to perform the job functions with or without accommodation, such as the ability to walk, stand or sit for prolonged periods of time, light to moderate lifting, reaching and crouching, moderate use of computer keyboard and visual acuity for reading computer screens.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: At-will
PAUMA is a drug free workplace-applicant pass a substance abuse test prior to employment, and random drug testing after employment
Background Check required including Megan’s Law.
INDIAN preference for this position is given to qualified Indian candidates who present proof of eligibility for Indian preference (25 USC 472)
APPLICATION PROCESS: E-mail or fax résumé, cover letter, and references. In addition to the resume include: official transcripts, any applicable certificates, evidence of relevant job-related experience, letters of reference. Provide proof of eligibility if claiming preference.
Job Type: Full-time
- is desired: 2 years (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Parental leave