2021 SCIENCE-TECHNOLOGY COMMUNITY S. KIRK CABEEN TRAVEL STIPEND AWARD
The Science-Technology Community seeks applicants for the S. Kirk Cabeen Travel Stipend Award. This $1,000 award, offered to a library school student from an ALA-accredited school or a recent graduate from an ALA-accredited school attending the SLA Annual conference for the first time. The award, generously supported by SPIE Digital Library, is to be used toward expenses of attending the conference. You may see past award winner names on our main awards webpage.
- Be a library school student from ALA-accredited school or or a recent graduate from an ALA-accredited school attending the conference.
- Be a current member of SLA, preference given to members of the Science-Technology and Engineering Communities
- Must be attending their first SLA conference.
- Has not been a recipient of the Science-Technology Community’s student Travel Stipend Award in the past.
- Applicants can only apply for one Science-Technology Community award in a given year.
NOMINATIONS: Self-nominations are encouraged.
Send an application letter via email including current job title, Library School and anticipated graduation date (if applicable), employer (if applicable), and all professional and personal contact information.
All nominations must also include a short essay (500 words or less). As SciTech Librarians, we need to be nimble and able to adapt to change. Please write a short essay on the theme of "Trends in libraries that will affect SciTech Librarianship in the next five years". Neatness, spelling, and grammar will count in judging.
Supporting documentation must include:
- a current curriculum vita OR resume for the candidate.
- letters from instructors, employers or colleagues, as applicable.
- a list of significant publications (if applicable), or other documentation regarding qualifications
- Applications should also mention if you are currently applying for other SLA Division awards or any other SLA awards.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: To be announced, usually in early March
Nominations and all accompanying materials should be sent to Dr Debal Kar, Awards Committee Chair email@example.com
POST AWARD REQUIREMENTS:
- Recipient(s) will write a brief article (approximately 1,000 words) on the conference experience for the Science-Technology Community website. Alternately, the recipient(s) could film a short video discussing the conference experience to be posted on the Science-Technology Community website. Deadline for submission of the brief article or short video is generally 2 months after the annual conference.
- Recipient(s) will be asked to serve on the Science-Technology Community Awards Committee in the following year. Recipient(s) may continue on the Awards Committee after that year if desired.
- Applicants will receive notification of award status by early May.
- The recipient's name will be posted to the Science-Technology Community's Web site, as will the winning article/video.
Debal C Kar, PhD
Dr. B R Ambedkar University Delhi
Lothian Road, Kashmere Gate, Delhi 110006, India
Ph: +91-11-26023552(R), +91-11-23865084(O), 9811392242 (M)