Welcome to the Sci-Tech Community! We know that you get about as much out of your SLA membership as you put into it, so participation is the key to a successful experience. We offer lots of ways for you to get involved:
- Participate in Science-Technology Community discussion in SLA Connect.
- Network with Community members at our Poster session/ reception!
- Attend Community programs at the SLA Annual Conference and volunteer to write a brief review for the Connect discussion list.
- Join a committee.
- Present a poster or a paper at the annual conference.
- Sign up to be a mentor or mentee.
- Become an officer (yes, YOU).
Remember, participation in an SLA committee looks great on your resume! Don’t be shy – we want to meet you.
The Community has two conference travel awards specifically for students:
1. The S. Kirk Cabeen Travel Stipend Award is an award offered to a library school student from an ALA-accredited school or a recent graduate attending the conference for the first time. It is a $1,000 award to be used towards the travel and conference registration of first time SLA conference attendees.
2. The Diane K. Foster International Student Travel Award is an award offered to a student enrolled in an accredited Library and Information Science (LIS) courses and programs in [country/region of SLA chapter co-sponsoring award] during the current academic year. It is a $3,000 award to be used towards travel and conference registration for first time SLA conference attendees. The Foster award is jointly sponsored by the Science-Technology Community and an international community of SLA on a rotating basis.
The Community also offers a Newcomers and Member Meet-up Breakfast at each SLA conference that is free for all members to attend.