Job no: 512778 Work type: Administrative & Professional Senior management: Dean of Libraries Department: Library Location: Blacksburg Area Categories: Library
Job Description The Coordinator of the Library Cultural and Community Exhibits Program and VT Art Collection will develop and implement exhibitions in University Libraries that celebrate and showcase heritage, history, and culture of different groups at Virginia Tech. They will conduct research for the exhibits, design, fabricate, and install them when necessary. The coordinator will collaborate closely with Virginia Tech Cultural and Community Centers, campus and academic units, students, and other university partners to create exhibits and displays that bring broad representation and cultural awareness to library spaces. This position will also manage the VT Art Collection for the Moss Arts Center, ensuring the proper care, storage, and display of the art holdings held by the VT Foundation. VT Art Collection management will include maintaining a database of the collection, responding to loan requests for items in the art collection, and organizing safe transport for art holdings when necessary.
· Master's Degree or other advanced degree in the following fields: public history, material culture, art history, museum studies, theatre arts, architecture, creative technologies, fine arts, or design
· Professional experience or academic background related to public history, art, communication, design, library science, journalism, marketing, public relations, or similar field
· Demonstrated success managing multiple projects
· Evidence of working collaboratively with individuals and groups
· Demonstrated experience using design software such as the Adobe Creative Suite or other open source alternatives
· Evidence of creativity, innovation, and scholarship such as designed/curated exhibitions, creative projects, publications, or presentations
· Experience working in libraries, museums, or art galleries
· Experience with visual arts exhibitions, public art installations, or similar arts-related background
· Demonstrated ability to be flexible, adaptable, and work with ambiguity
· Experience overseeing and supervising student workers
· Evidence of planning and managing an annual budget
· Experience with data entry, database maintenance, and migration
· Ability to safely lift and handle 50 pounds
Salary Information $52,000 dependent upon qualifications and experience
Review Date 3/6/2020
Additional Information The application package needs to include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate's experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, the required and preferred qualifications, and names of three (3) references and their contact information.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
The members of the University Libraries at Virginia Tech strive individually and collectively to create, sustain, and share inclusive ways of knowing in conscientious community with each other and all the people we serve in every space we shape. In keeping with our Aspirational Identity and the Virginia Tech Principles of Community, the University Libraries commit to build and maintain enduring climates of mutual care, respect, and responsibility.
About Virginia Tech Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT-serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Advertised: February 6, 2020 Applications close: Open until filled
To learn more, click here.