Library Director, Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art- Bentonville, AR
Position Summary The Library at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art seeks a visionary Director who is passionate about connecting people and content. This position calls for a future-facing individual who will change the perception and reality of art museum libraries in alignment with Crystal Bridges' mission to welcome and provide access to all. The successful Library Director will create an identity and robust plan for an art library that serves the general public and educational and scholarly communities in the region and across the State of Arkansas. It will provide a national model for 21st century art museum libraries.
The Library Director will achieve these goals through strategic leadership and activity that creates 1) a comprehensive program of community, educational, cultural, informational, and related services born of intentional connections; 2) collaborative mission-fit efforts across the community, region, and state, and especially with the University of Arkansas with which a new partnership is being created; 3) an active and vibrant library space and content; and 4) collection, technology, and related assets that support the Museum mission.
· Creates frameworks and plans for:
o Library programs to provide community engagement and services
o Dissemination of public/scholarly information
o Partnership with University of Arkansas library
o Library support of Arts Integration for K-12 and undergraduate and graduate college education
o Partnerships with libraries across Arkansas and beyond
o Digital materials creation and access
· Directs management of the library including
· Recommends policy for all facets of the library
· Supervises and trains library staff
· Creates, implements, and controls the expenditures of a responsible annual budget
· Demonstrated abilities as a creative strategist
· Passionate and open-minded attitude about how an art library can connect a multiplicity of art resources to a broad community that includes a diverse general public, a University, and museum' staff
· Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of library functions
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues across and beyond the museum
· 3 or more years of leadership and administration in libraries or equivalent institutions
· MLS from an American Library Association accredited program preferred or commensurate training and experience
· Ability to work independently and as a team member
· Ability to take initiative
· Excellent oral, written, and computer skills
· Understanding of budget creation and maintenance
· Positive attitude and collaborative spirit
· Ability to maintain highest levels of confidentiality and discretion
Equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience will satisfy the minimum requirements. Licenses and Certifications:
· Valid Driver's License
Physical Requirements and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Physical demands: In the work environment described below, position requires verbal and written conversation with others, sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, lifting/moving objects up to 10 pounds, and use of hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
· Work environment: Work will be performed in an office environment, museum spaces, and in communities served. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate. Position may require some independent overnight travel. Occasionally the work schedule may include evenings and weekends.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT Crystal Bridges is committed to creating an institution that reflects the diversity of our region and nation. We are especially mindful of those in our community impacted by inequity due to ability, language, class, age, gender, religion, sexuality, race and ethnicity, and are working diligently to address perceived and real barriers that keep anyone from fully experiencing the museum as a guest, volunteer, or employee. To achieve true reform, we must have a diverse, highly qualified team. Crystal Bridges is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
We actively encourage minority candidates to apply for this position.
Click here for more information.