Assistant Director, Fisher Fine Arts Library- Philadelphia, PA
University Overview The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Job Description Summary The Penn Libraries seeks a dynamic and service-oriented person with strong team-building skills for the position of Assistant Director, Fisher Fine Arts Library. Reporting to the Director, the Assistant Director oversees aspects of research, teaching, and learning services in the Fisher Fine Arts Library. Responsibilities include development and implementation of library programs and collections, all in service to the Stuart Weitzman School of Design, the Department of the History of Art, Penn museums, and, more broadly, the School of Arts and Sciences. This position serves as an assessment staff member and is tasked with ongoing evaluation and improvement of existing access and research services in Fisher, and in collaboration with peers in other areas of the Libraries. This position is active in outreach, liaising with faculty and curators, and developing programs for incoming students and visiting scholars. The Assistant Director participates in Libraries-wide task forces and committees as well as appropriate professional associations. In conjunction with Director, this position provides leadership for collection analysis and troubleshooting of the integrated library enterprise system. The position manages the Access Services team, a group of four full-time bargaining unit staff covering areas of day-to-day operations such as circulation, course reserves, and access. The Assistant Director and access services team are part of the larger structure of Fisher reporting to the Director, including the Materials Library and Image Collection, the Common Press, and the internship program.
Job Description Housed in an iconic building designed by famed Philadelphia architect Frank Furness and opened as the university's central library in 1891, the Fisher Fine Arts Library sits in the center of Penn's campus. The library's specific collecting areas include architecture, city and regional planning, historic preservation, the history of art, landscape architecture, urban spatial analytics, and the studio arts. Its collections both complement and are complemented by material in other campus libraries, including the Van Pelt Dietrich Library Center and the Penn Museum library, and through our deep alliance with the Athenaeum of Philadelphia. The Fisher Fine Arts Library is part of the Penn Libraries, which is embarking on an innovative strategic plan that will chart the library's future with an impact on the global society.
Typical Duties Include:
· Develops and implements research, instruction, orientation, and outreach programs for the Fisher Fine Arts Library
· Serves as library liaison to a number of departments within the Stuart Weitzman School of Design and the Department of History of Art
· Participates in long-range strategic planning for the Fisher Fine Arts Library
· In coordination with Director, manages library facility, daily operations, and participates in space planning assessments
· Supervises 4 FTE support staff focused on access services
· Plans and facilitates staff scheduling, training, and development
· Participates in collection analysis and development activities
· Participates in services to the Libraries
· Supports Fisher and Materials Library websites
· Supports and develops programming for Fisher exhibition space
· Manages technology lending program
· ALA-accredited master's degree in library science or equivalent combination of education and professional experience, plus a background in an arts or design discipline
· Three or more years of professional academic library experience, preferably in a supervisory capacity
· 1-3 years of reference and instruction experience
· Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills
· Ability to work collaboratively and across disciplines
· Experience working with archival and special collections
· Proficiency with the ALMA library enterprise system
· Demonstrated experience with technology and digital projects
· Proficiency with new technology in an educational or library setting
· Experience in event programming and/or project management
· Proficiency in one or more non-English languages
***REQUIRED*** Please submit a resume and cover letter as one attachment when applying.
Job Location - City, State: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Department / School: University Library Pay Range: $50,684.00 - $91,232.00
Affirmative Action Statement Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Special Requirements Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/1888120