The New York Studio School of Drawing, Painting & Sculpture is a vibrant, non-profit art institution located in the heart of Greenwich Village that offers a two-year MFA and a three-year Certificate program, with concentrations in Painting and Sculpture, as well as intensive two-week Marathons, Evening Courses, and a Summer Session. The Library houses a specialized collection designed to serve the needs of developing painters and sculptors in support of the School's programs. The collection includes monographs, periodicals, exhibition catalogues and an archive of audio-visual materials that relate to the School's renowned Evening Lecture Series.
Job Description The Librarian is solely responsible for managing the Library at the New York Studio School, providing reference services in art and art history to the School's students, faculty, and staff. Duties include, but are not limited to: acquisitions; cataloguing; receiving and processing donations; reference services; readers' advisory, and collection development. Preference will be given to candidates able to continue the management of a long-term project to digitize and post on the web the Studio School's Lecture Series Archive. The Librarian oversees a small group of Tuition Remission students and develops creative programming and community building within the School.
Additionally, this role will work closely, at certain times, with the School's Registrar, Program Director and Recruitment Coordinator to ensure smooth operations throughout the Admissions process to the School and also on occasion with programming and general operations.
The ideal candidate will be a hardworking, self-starting, patient, level headed individual who will be able to prioritize work, enjoy working closely with students, faculty and staff when needed, manage a budget, and be a forward thinker who attends to detail. This position will be a great career opportunity for the right candidate!
· Provide specialized subject reference assistance to students, faculty & outside researchers
· Catalog and process new acquisitions
· Offer writing & editorial support and guidance to students who require assistance
· Plan acquisitions within collection development framework
· Update and create content for Web pages, user guides & training materials
· Organize and preserve audio-visual archive
· Edit audio-visual recordings from archive using Adobe Premiere Pro for clip and/or full-length upload on NYSS Youtube channel
· Develop library programming related to the fulfillment of NYSS' mission (including, but not limited to professional development and special events within the School community)
· Supervise approved Library Tuition Remission positions
Secondary responsibilities, as needed, include:
· Arranging and conducting in-person and over the phone Admissions interviews with potential students;
· Responding in writing and over the phone to applicant inquiries;
· Leading tours of the School for potential students;
· Editing assistance with various documents and communications;
· Data entry and file maintenance;
· Event assistance;
· Assistance with other operational tasks as necessary/requested.
· ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS
· MFA / MA in Art or Art History preferred
· Professional experience in arts administration
· Demonstrated interpersonal and written communication skills
· Knowledge of art literature and experience maintaining an art collection
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
· Ability to write and form memoranda to grant applications
· Computer skills including familiarity with web-based cataloguing tools, MS Office, HTML/Web, Adobe CC
· Video editing experience
· Should be able to lift weights up to 40 lbs.
· Flexibility and compassion
· Knowledge of the art world and trends in practice and scholarship
· Extremely strong written and verbal skills;
· Ability to complete tasks thoroughly in a timely manner;
· Ability to multi-task and to prioritize tasks by importance;
· Professional demeanor and ability to work with confidential/sensitive materials
To apply for this position, please send a single pdf comprised of your current resume, cover letter, the names and contact information of three references, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org No phone calls please.
The New York Studio School is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of gender, race or ethnicity, color, nation