Educational Sessions at SLA 2020
We are excited to share the sessions and continuing education courses being offered or co-hosted by, the Taxonomy Division at SLA Annual Conference in Charlotte NC October 15-18, 2020. We hope to see you all there!
The day and times of the educational sessions are still TBD, so please have a look at the offerings to see if there is anything of interest to you on the menu! Conference Registration is open, and you can get the Early Bird Rate through August 19, 2020.
CE Courses will be open for registration in March. Until then, check out the descriptions for our two courses held on Saturday, June 6.
- .. what’s an ontology? (Fundamental) Speaker/Instructor: Bree Midavaine (1/2 day)
- What am I supposed to do with this (Taxonomy) Now? (Advanced) Speaker/Instructor: Marjorie Hlava (full day)
Read more at: https://connect.sla.org/ac2020/schedule/pre-conference-courses
Revealing and Banishing Bias in Taxonomies
Partnering with DICE!
- Speakers: Michael Sholinbeck, Alisha Cherr
- Moderator: Michele Lamorte
Challenges in Taxonomy Building for Scholarly Research: Case Studies
Partnering with PAM!
- Speakers: Katie Frey, Sharon Garewal, Heather Hedden
- Moderator: Paula McCoy
Internationalization of Taxonomies and Controlled Vocabularies
- Speakers: David Bender, Tatjana Hocke-Mirzashvili
- Moderator: Heather Hedden
- Moderator/Speaker: Benjamin Cooper
- Description: Join fellow taxonomists and ontologists to discuss hot topics, areas of concern, and share success stories. Tables will be loosely grouped by industry to facilitate networking as well as learning. Discussion time will be followed by summary reports from each table about the issues and solutions discussed.
Look Behind the Curtain of Food Taxonomy: Linked Data, Machine Learning, and AI, Oh My!
Partnering with FAER (who is leading the session)
- Speakers: Rhianna Gamble, Michele Lamorte
Non-members, Join SLA for the best rates, and we'll see you in Charlotte!