It is the policy of the SLA Western Canada Chapter to assist with the payment of travel for Chapter leadership in the pursuit of Chapter activities.
The purpose of the policy is to provide financial assistance for the Chapter’s leadership when employers will not reimburse expenses incurred, while performing Chapter business or activities.
1. That the Chapter assist in paying travel fares for the following:
a. The President and President-Elect whose employers do not provide travel expenses for attendance at Winter meeting or Annual Conference be reimbursed by the Chapter for an amount up to $3,000 (total annual expenditure for both positions) for travel costs incurred in attending of those meetings.
b. The President and President-Elect, whose employers do not provide travel expenses for attendance at Chapter’s Annual General Meeting, be reimbursed by the Chapter for an amount up to $500 for the costs incurred in attending the meeting.
2. That the Board members, with the exception of the President and President-Elect, whose employers do not provide travel expenses for attendance at Chapter’s Annual General Meeting be reimbursed by the Chapter for an amount up to $200 each for the costs incurred in attending the meeting subject to Board approval and inclusion in the budget.
3. That specific amounts shall be included in the approved budget for each category (items 1 and 2) for normal business travel. The President and Treasurer may determine total maximum travel expenditures allowed in the budget based on projected income. Expenses concerned with specific programs shall be charged to the appropriate program budget.
4. That no travel expenses shall be paid unless:
a. the Board has approved proposed travel expenses prior to travel
b. expenses have been provided for in the budget and are supported by original copies of adequate vouchers and receipts, together with an explicit Expense Report.
Expenses will be submitted to and approved by the by the Treasurer and the Treasurer’s expenses will be approved by the President.
5. Travel and related expenses for speakers, consultants, advisors, etc., in accordance with related contracts and agreements, may be paid from program budgets as approved by the area Director and Treasurer .
6. See also the SLA WCC policy: Expenditure Tracking in Chapter Business
Advisory Procedures for SLA WCC Travel Policy
A. Adequate travel accommodations are considered to be by air (at the most economical class available), bus or train (based on distance)
B. That an expense report shall be submitted by all persons within 30 days of the event or reimbursement will not be made.
C. The Treasurer, with the assistance of the President, shall be responsible for the administration of this policy.