- Curated job postings in special libraries – Western Canada Chapter’s Employment Chair curates our very own jobs board, where unique info pro listings from diverse fields are collected – saving you time in your job search. Subscribe via the RSS feed at the bottom of the page or bookmark the URL. Job postings from outside of western Canada are also often posted in SLA’s members-only forum, Connect, by a relevant Division or Chapter.
- Recognition – Your Western Canada Chapter friends and colleagues can be recognized through the SLA WCC Outstanding Information Professional Award. The award honours a WCC member who has made a significant contribution to the profession. Any member who has made a contribution worthy of acknowledgment can be nominated for this award.
- Subsidies – Western Canada Chapter members who are unwaged but are volunteering on our board can apply to the WCC President to have their SLA membership fees reimbursed. SLA WCC Memebrship Dues Bursary.
- Professional development & social events – Western Canada Chapter, through our Regional Directors, coordinate events in western Canada throughout the year. Members learn about these events by reading our Chapter website homepage and by subscribing to updates from the Western Canada community on SLA’s members-only forum — Connect. All SLA Chapters and Divisions also cross-post their own events to SLA’s general events calendar so that members from around the world can attend webinars and other online programming.
- Annual conference discount – SLA members are entitled to the discounted member rate at the annual conference. Click here to learn where in the world next year’s conference is located!
- Wired West Bulletin – Hone your writing skills and share experiences and concerns with your peers.
How do I join?
Registration is coordinated by SLA’s head office. Visit the SLA website and select the registration type right for you. Remember to select the Western Canada Chapter when you sign up! Our Chapter includes British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut. We also have, and welcome, virtual members from around the world. As of July 2016, we number 140 members.
The fee to join SLA depends on your employment status and is listed here. All amounts are in USD. Western Canada Chapter members who are unwaged but are volunteering on our board can apply to the WCC President to have their SLA membership fees reimbursed.
Any of the SLA WCC Board are happy to assist you and you clan learn more about our Chapter by reading our Chapter profile.